Hello Friends, here’s another Royal Quiz for us to tackle. This time, to celebrate the 90th birthday of Queen Elizabeth II’s husband, Prince Philip, on June 10, 2011, it’s appropriate that the topic should focus on the Duke of Edinburgh. So here it is, hope you enjoy it. I’ll be posting the answers in a few days. Good luck!
1) When Prince Philip and Princess Elizabeth’s engagement was officially announced, what was the groom’s official title?
A. Prince Philipos of Greece
B. Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark
C. Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten, R.N.
D. Captain Philip Mountbatten, R.A.
2) Who was Prince Philip’s paternal grandmother?
A. Queen Olga of Greece
B. Princess Alice of Battenberg
C. Queen Victoria
D. Queen Louise of Denmark
3) Prince Philip presented his fiancée, Princess Elizabeth with an engagement ring set in what stones?
A. Platinum and Diamonds
B. Emerald and Diamonds
C. Rubies and Diamonds
D. Pearl and Sapphires
4) What was the name of the villa Prince Philip was born in on the island of Corfu?
A. Villa Anastasia
B. Mon Repos
D. Villa Athena
5) How many sisters did Prince Philip have?
6) What artistic hobby does Prince Philip indulge in and which he shows talent?
7) Prince Philip while on duty with Britain’s Royal Navy during the Second World War, was mentioned in despatches for his service at what battle?
A. Battle of Midway
B. Battle of the Bulge
C. Battle of Matapan
D. Battle of Britain
8) As part of his service with the Royal Navy, where was Prince Philip stationed in from 1949-1951?
9) From his mother, Prince Philip is descended directly from which of Queen Victoria’s children?
A. Princess Beatrice
B. Princess Alice
C. Prince Alfred
D. Prince Arthur
10) In the 1950s, Prince Philip initiated an awards scheme for young people which has proven popular around the world. What is the name of this award scheme?
A. The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme
B. Prince Philip’s Award Scheme
C. The Windsor Award Scheme
D. The Mountbatten Award Scheme
11) Besides the title of Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip is also Baron Greenwich. Moreover, he has was granted an earldom. What is he Earl of?
12) One of Prince Philip’s royal cousins published a biography on him. Who is this royal?
A. Queen Alexandra of Yugoslavia
B. Marchioness of Milford Haven
C. Duchess of Gloucester
D. Queen Margrethe of Denmark
13) Prince Philip’s surname of Mountbatten, originates from what family name?
14) Prince Philip took up a sport that involves riding horses, while stationed in Malta, a sport that his son, Prince Charles, and grandsons, Princes William and Harry have also played. What is this sport?
B. Horse Racing
15) In his later years, after giving up polo, what sport did Prince Philip take up, which the Queen likes to watch him participate in at Windsor?
A. Water Polo
B. Carriage Driving
16) Who is Prince Philip’s regular carriage driving companion and is said to be one of his closest female confidantes?
A. Lady Romsey
B. Countess Mountbatten
C. Duchess of Kent
D. Gina Kennard
17) What is the name of the school Prince Philip attended in Scotland, the same one Prince Charles attended?
A. Eton College
B. Gordonstoun School
C. Marlborough College
D. Fettes College
18) What is the name of the frigate Prince Philip commanded in the Mediterranean?
A. HMS Ramillies
B. HMS Whelp
C. HMS Magpie
D. HMS Invincible
19) Prince Philip was the first President of what organization concerned with the conservation of nature?
A. World Fund for Nature
B. World Nature Fund
C. Wildlife Fund for Nature
D. World Wildlife Fund
20) What is the name of Prince Philip’s uncle who was killed by the IRA in 1979?
A. Lord Louis Mountbatten
B. Marquis of Milford Haven
C. Prince Albert
D. Prince George